Suburbanization of the Campus
Architecturally, this period is characterized by the decentralization of the campus community and sprawl. A significant component of the sprawl is the siting of the buildings with convenient access to surface parking, thus creating odd-shaped footprints. These structures were program driven with little regards to the nature of ‘campus’ or the creation of spaces that contribute to the sense of community. During the 1970’s Military Walk ceased to be a street with the introduction of landscape berms and concrete seating at either end.
This period marked substantive growth of the area of campus west of Wellborn Road. Even though the 1981 West Campus Master Plan by Schrickel, Rollins, and Associates supported the development of this area, the subsequent 1990 Master Plan began to recognize the drawbacks of this approach such as the distance from the East Campus, linkage across Wellborn Road and the railroad, and the lack of symbolic axial connection to the east campus.
The civic structure of the campus was enhanced during this period with the development of Albritton Bell Tower (1984), New Main Drive improvements (2002) and the Koldus Building (1992). The Koldus Building is significant as a building typology where a parking structure is wrapped by occupied space.
Listed below are some of the most notable buildings constructed during this period.
- President's Residence – 1965
- Luedecke Building (Cyclotron) – 1966
- Veterinary Medicine Administration – 1968
- Adams Band Hall – 1970
- Commons – 1972
- Dunn Residence Hall – 1972
- Zachry Engineering Center – 1972
- Harrington Education Center Office Tower – 1973
- Oceanography & Meteorology Building – 1973
- Rudder Tower – 1973
- Harrington Education Center Classroom Building – 1974
- Beutel Health Center – 1974
- Langford Architecture Center Building A – 1977
- Blocker Building – 1981
- Chemistry Building – 1990
- University Center Parking Garage – 1992
- Koldus Building – 1992
- Sam Houston Sanders Corps Of Cadets Center – 1992
- Veterinary Large Animal Hospital – 1993
- Student Recreation Center – 1995
- Reed Arena – 1998
- Central Campus Parking Garage – 1999
- West Campus Parking Garage – 2003
- Bright Football Complex - 2003