Reorientation and Expansion
In 1927, F.E. Geisecke, returned to Texas A&M University as campus architect and to preside over another important development period of the campus. Geisecke’s chief designer was C.P. Vosper whom was responsible for the architectural language, while Geisecke was responsible for the buildings structure. Vosper remained in the position until the mid-1930s and Geisecke until 1939.
Vosper’s influence is easily identified by his attention to unusual details that mark the buildings through the imagery they convey. This work embodies the spirit of the place in animal figure bas-reliefs, polychrome tiles, stone mosaics and intricate ironwork.
The construction of the Chemistry Building (1929) solidified and expanded what we now know today as the historic core of campus. Development during this period includes the Agriculture Building (later renamed Scoates Hall), Animal Industries Building, Petroleum Engineering (later renamed Halbouty Geoscience Building), Veterinary Hospital (later renamed Civil Engineering), and the Administration Building (now the J.K. Williams Administration Building).
With Hensel’s guidance, the placement of these new structures began to define historic core of campus. His vision and efforts led to the establishment of the new route for Highway 6 allowing the Administration Building to terminate at an axial entrance.
This marked a major departure point in the campus planning. The main entry no longer coincided with the railroad to the west; it was now from the east. The importance of these changes to the civic structure formed a spine that consisted of a series of streets and quads, but also extended that structure from the western edge of campus to the eastern edge.
Listed below are some of the most notable buildings constructed during this period.
- Formal establishment of Simpson Drill Field - 1920
- Physics Building – 1920
- Melbern G. Glasscock Building – 1921
- Military Sciences Building – 1923
- Aggieland Inn – 1925
- Kyle Field – 1927
- Law and Puryear Halls – 1928
- Chemistry – 1929
- Evan Library – 1930
- Hart Hall – 1930
- Walton Residence Hall – 1931
- Animal Industries Building – 1932
- Jack K. Williams Administration Building – 1932
- Civil Engineering Building – 1932
- Scoates Hall – 1932
- Halbouty Geoscience – 1933
- Dormitory 1-12 – 1938
- Vice President`s Residence – 1939
- Duncan Dinning Hall – 1940
- Utilities & Energy Service Central Office – 1940
- Hotard Hall – 1941