Development of the Campus Core
This decade marked the establishment of a major portion of the historic core and the appointment of the first campus architect, F.E. Geisecke, in 1908. In conjunction with Geisecke, F.W. Hensel was appointed as the first landscape architect. Geisecke held the post until 1912. The second campus architect was Rolland Adelsberger.
During this period, Nagel Hall (1909), Leggett Hall (1911), Academic Building (1912), Bolton Hall (1912), Sbisa Dining Hall (1912), the YMCA Building (1914), Bizzell Hall (1914), Guion Hall (1918), and Francis Hall (1918) were constructed. These structures marked the departure from the Victorian and Second Empire buildings to the classicalism that would define the architecture of the campus over the next two decades. These buildings were classical in composition, proportion, and rhythm.
In 1915, the “Permanent Campus Plan” was adopted by the Board of Directors and served as the catalyst for the development of the campus for almost twenty years. The intent was clear - development of a quad east of the Academic Building, “infill” of quad to the west of the Academic Building, the development of housing quads, the construction of a legible street system, and the construction of Military Walk. Hensel was instrumental in creating the landscape and civic structure of the campus that we know today.
Listed below are some of the most notable buildings constructed during this period.
- Civil Engineering Building (Nagle Hall) – 1909
- Legett and Milner – 1911
- Electrical Engineering Building (Bolton Hall) – 1912
- Sbisa Dinning Hall – 1912
- YMCA Building – 1913
- Academic Building – 1914
- Central Utility Plant – 1915
- Pavilion – 1916
- Bizzell Hall – 1918
- Guion Hall – 1918
- Francis Hall – 1918