Texas A&M University is the largest campus in the Texas A&M University System and one of the largest in the United States with the main campus spanning 5,115 acres, including the George Bush Presidential Library. Additional acreage associated with Texas A&M University such as the Riverside Campus spans 6,029 acres.
Since its founding in 1876, the campus was built on an east west axis with Old Main and what is now known as Wellborn Road. This axis formed the beginning of the campus structure which buildings and roads would be organized.
The campus architecture is varied in architectural style, but builds on established architectural elements and characteristics such as colonnades, loggias and porticoes; use of courtyards, defined entries, facades with repetitive bays; and base, middle and top facades with emphasized ends. It reinforces the spatial pattern of the campus’s civic structure by defining outdoor spaces, giving them scale, dimension and geometrical order, and clarity. It offers amenities of shade and public welcome, symbolizes and characterizes the public realm of the campus, and conveys a vision of quality and excellence.